Thursday, January 19, 2012

The reading and our discussion today made me think of who we are as people and what makes us the way we are. I feel that 100% women and men are both capable and should be able to be in whatever job they prefer. On that same note it makes me wonder why I wouldn't want to be in the military or a similar position that most say women are not able to do. There is a part of me that really thinks one of the only reasons is because I was socialized from a young age that girl's do certain things and even though I don't agree with that, I know I still follow that sometimes. It is often easy to stand up for something but it is a whole other thing to actually act upon it. The movie for example made me think of how that women identified herself as a feminist teenager, but then when she grew up she hadn't thought about it for years and how she was reflecting on that. I don't want to believe in something strongly and then forget about it for thirty years. Sometimes I feel that I have to find a balance between my ideal life and my real life in being a feminist but also not letting that hold me back from other things that I also want like having a family or loving girly things. I really believe that there is a balance.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that anybody is capable of pursuing a career they choose. Since technology is so rapidly advancing, I think that the gap is being closed on things can do.

    ReplyDelete